The following are a few things that you can do to both take advantage of, and protect yourself from the fire of summer:
- It's ideal to sleep in harmony with the light of the Sun, so rise earlier, and go to sleep a little later; making sure, of course, to get a healthy amount of sleep.
- Try new activities, or reinvigorate old hobbies, and let the abundant Yang of the Summer give you the energy you need to move forward. Begin or increase physical activity or exercise. Get outdoors if you can!
- Keep calm - control the urge to let the abundant Yang have its way with your emotional state. Control both excessive Joy and Anger. Also, don't get carried away. Protect yourself from burning out or spreading yourself too thin.
- Stay well hydrated. Don't wait until you feel thirsty to drink, and if you are active make sure you take in extra fluids to compensate for those you lose.
- Stay out of the Sun during the peak hours of the day, and make sure you are well protected if you do plan to go out.
- Add a few foods to your diet to help support your body and your Qi during the summer. The following foods are used in TCM to clear and drain heat from the body, and/or to generate fluids: watermelon, lemon, peaches and fruits in general (but especially the watery melons), mung beans, soy, mint, celery, greens (like spinach and cabbage), seaweed, asparagus, lotus seeds, and bamboo. Pungent foods can also be consumed, as they disperse heat and promote sweating.